Skip to main content

Cloth kleenex


In my previous post I wrote about the other things around our house that have switched to reusable rather than disposable, in addition to diapers. In comments, Ann reminded me that of course tissues can be reusable too. I had two pair of pajama pants, totally worn out in the seams around the butt, that were ready to be re-purposed. So this weekend I went ahead and cut them up, folded them kleenex-box style, and put them into an empty box. This way they pull out one after the other just like paper tissues! I am quite proud of myself. It took about 30 minutes to do the cutting and folding, total, with a few breaks for baby tending. I didn't serge or stitch the edges, so will see how they hold up after a washing and might have to do that later. The thing that makes me extra excited about using my old pjs, besides not having to buy fabric, is that these were both super worn, so already very soft and thin, just how I like my tissues. In the past, I've gotten annoyed with the bulk of handkerchiefs bought new (too big to comfortably stuff in my pocket), and felt like it was wasteful to wash that whole huge square of fabric after just a couple uses, but like it was also gross to keep using it when there were booger surprises inside. I made my tissues the width of one side of a leg of the pjs, which is - o happy coincidence - about the same size as a regular square of kleenex, and smaller than a typical handkerchief. The number of squares I got (about 36) seems like it would make it through a few days of a bad cold, or a month of light use. I also saved the elastic, which seemed to be in fine shape. What do you think of my handiwork?

Comments

  1. fabulous idea!! you are so resourceful. I have the same complaints about my store-bought hanks - it sounds like you found the perfect solution. Now I need to go hunt for well-worn pajama pants...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Woollybottoms Giveaway

I am hosting my first giveaway! I have been wanting to do this for a while, and I'm so pleased to have it finally planned. The item I chose to give is a new pair of Woollybottoms - wool pants for babies. The retail value of these is $29.00. I have been really into the wool pants thing lately, as you may have noticed from my recent posts (about Nifty Knickers, and my baby blue longies) so this seems like a good fit. Wool pants can be used as a cloth diaper cover, or just as snuggly warm pants for the winter or for bedtime. These ones are "footies" so they should keep your baby toasty! The pair I am giving to one lucky winner is light blue with fish fabric for the footie part. Maybe a little more boyish than girlie, but Stella would definitely wear these if we got to keep them. They are size medium, and have the following measurements:
8" waist (elastic)
9" rise
18" length


Here they are:




To enter, simply comment below and let me know why you want to win, or wh…

End of May and the Garden is Planted!

This week has been extremely wet here in western Oregon. By Thursday morning, the rain was really getting to me. I was worried my new starts were going to drown and that the seeds I'd planted last weekend were going to rot. Luckily, there was sun that afternoon and when I went into the backyard I discovered many of my seeds had sprouted, and everything other than the two lemon cucumbers was still looking fairly healthy. We now have nearly everything in, except for the corn. From left to right, our beds contain:

1. thyme, rosemary, lettuce, broccoli, cilantro, oregano, and cabbage.
2. carrots and potatoes (planted late - just a couple of days ago)
3. 8 tomatoes and 2 peppers
4. strawberries
5. half of the bed is strawberries (which we might move to join the other bed to give us more room for other things), cucumber, one lone eggplant, and a couple of echinacea
6. empty for now, but it will be soon filled with corn - we are doing seeds in containers and will move them one they are u…

Baby Blue Recycled Wool Longies

The first time I made recycled wool diaper covers, I made "shorties" that fit like little shorts, or a more typical diaper cover. For that project, I bought several wool sweaters at Goodwill and followed a pattern I found online that basically consists of cutting a triangle out of the sweater, cutting off the sleeve cuffs and neck, and sewing it all together, using the sleeves for the leg holes and the neck for the waist. I can give more specific instructions if you'd like, just ask in comments, but unfortunately was unable to find the site that I originally got the pattern from. To size the sides of the triangle, measure your little one's waist and add a half inch. Katrina's Sew Quick blog has some great patterns for a variety of types of wool diaper covers.

Here is one of the first ones I made, clearly it is a little bit big at this point.

You can see another photo of my handiwork in the bottom photo of my "Diapering My Active Nine-Month-Old" post.

Swe…