Skip to main content

A Day in My Working Life

6:40 wake up, eat breakfast, pack lunch, get dressed
7:15 leave my house
7:40 arrive at school (work)
9:15 begin teaching
12:15 to 12:45 lunch break
3:20 school ends
3:45 leave school
4:10 arrive home (on Monday, Tueday, and Friday) OR 4:25 arrive at Sweet Pea's grandma's house to pick her up (Wednesday and Thursday)
nurse Sweet Pea
check email, bank accounts, appointments, etc. online
unload the dishwasher, start a load of laundry, sweep, etc.
take a walk with Sweet Pea and Glen
6:30 start dinner
7:30ish Average arrives home from work (Tuesday - Thursday) and we eat dinner
8:00 watch a little TV, wash dishes, etc.
9:00 Sweet Pea takes a bath and gets ready for bed
9:30 nursing, rocking, etc.
10:00ish Sweet Pea falls asleep
plan next day's outfit
clean and pack breast pump supplies
fold and put away laundry, etc.
11:15 go to bed
and start it all again in the morning

Average has taken over quite a few of the household duties now that he is home with Sweet Pea on Mondays and Fridays. We are so lucky to only have Sweet Pea with non-family care one day a week. Even though I am getting less sleep and the house is messier during the week, my life actually feels more balanced. After one week (I know this may change), I am feeling like working is a good thing for me right now and enjoying the time being creative and working with other people outside the home. I do miss Sweet Pea and am super excited to see her at the end of each work day, but she is very happy with her babysitters so far, and is on a better sleep schedule right now than she has had since she was 5 months old. I will be working for the next nine weeks, and then have the summer off! Just one of the perks of being a teacher. I had a lot of anxiety about what it would be like to be back and work, wondering if I would hate it and find it very difficult to get up in the morning and be away from my baby all day, but it really feels fine so far. Thank goodness for daylight savings time so that I have lots of daylight in the afternoon to hang out with Sweet Pea, getting household stuff done as well as spending time outside.

If you have made the transition from home to work, what was the hardest part? What helped to make the transition smoother?


  1. Good for you!! I went to work part time after my son was 3 months old. I was lucky enough to work near family, so he was always with a grandparent or aunt. That made it easier for him and me. The hardest part was pumping. Eating and pumping both boobies in a 1/2 hour is pretty challenging!! Also, the only place with a plug was the office, which was video taped, oh and had no door. Ahhh, good times! Now with 2 kiddos I am at home full time.

  2. Thanks for sharing! Family care for little ones is the best! Oh yeah, pumping is not my favorite. I also have only 1/2 hour to eat and pump. One day I tried skipping pumping and got a huge clogged duct! I do want to try to slowly wean my body off of it though, since Sweet Pea isn't drinking milk from a bottle much right now. Most of the pumped milk is just going in the freezer as she eats solids and drinks water during the day. But, nursing her right when I get home from work is one of the best parts of my whole day!

  3. glad you are liking it and are happy with your decision!

  4. I just wanted to say how happy I am for you that the transition went well. I have thought about it (what it would be like to go back to work) many times and like you said- you just don't know how it's going to feel until you experience it. So glad for you!

  5. It is really a helpful blog to find some different source to add my knowledge. Best Preschool In Midtown Miami

  6. Great blog ! I am impressed with suggestions of author. Day Care In Doral

  7. I am thankful to this blog giving unique and helpful knowledge about this topic. Kindergarten In Brickell


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Woollybottoms Giveaway

I am hosting my first giveaway! I have been wanting to do this for a while, and I'm so pleased to have it finally planned. The item I chose to give is a new pair of Woollybottoms - wool pants for babies. The retail value of these is $29.00. I have been really into the wool pants thing lately, as you may have noticed from my recent posts (about Nifty Knickers , and my baby blue longies ) so this seems like a good fit. Wool pants can be used as a cloth diaper cover, or just as snuggly warm pants for the winter or for bedtime. These ones are "footies" so they should keep your baby toasty! The pair I am giving to one lucky winner is light blue with fish fabric for the footie part. Maybe a little more boyish than girlie, but Stella would definitely wear these if we got to keep them. They are size medium, and have the following measurements: 8" waist (elastic) 9" rise 18" length Here they are: To enter, simply comment below and let me know why you wan

End of May and the Garden is Planted!

This week has been extremely wet here in western Oregon. By Thursday morning, the rain was really getting to me. I was worried my new starts were going to drown and that the seeds I'd planted last weekend were going to rot. Luckily, there was sun that afternoon and when I went into the backyard I discovered many of my seeds had sprouted, and everything other than the two lemon cucumbers was still looking fairly healthy. We now have nearly everything in, except for the corn. From left to right, our beds contain: 1. thyme, rosemary, lettuce, broccoli, cilantro, oregano, and cabbage. 2. carrots and potatoes (planted late - just a couple of days ago) 3. 8 tomatoes and 2 peppers 4. strawberries 5. half of the bed is strawberries (which we might move to join the other bed to give us more room for other things), cucumber, one lone eggplant, and a couple of echinacea 6. empty for now, but it will be soon filled with corn - we are doing seeds in containers and will move them one they

Baby Blue Recycled Wool Longies

The first time I made recycled wool diaper covers, I made "shorties" that fit like little shorts, or a more typical diaper cover. For that project, I bought several wool sweaters at Goodwill and followed a pattern I found online that basically consists of cutting a triangle out of the sweater, cutting off the sleeve cuffs and neck, and sewing it all together, using the sleeves for the leg holes and the neck for the waist. I can give more specific instructions if you'd like, just ask in comments, but unfortunately was unable to find the site that I originally got the pattern from. To size the sides of the triangle, measure your little one's waist and add a half inch. Katrina's Sew Quick blog has some great patterns for a variety of types of wool diaper covers. Here is one of the first ones I made, clearly it is a little bit big at this point. You can see another photo of my handiwork in the bottom photo of my " Diapering My Active Nine-Month-Old " po